prep time 10 minutes
cook time 20 minutes
total time 30 minutes
servings 14 servings
calories 254 kcal
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter grated on a box grater just like cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk + more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/2-1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender use 2 teaspoons for a less intense flavor
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and toss with the flour. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the blackberries and white chocolate chips.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and then pat into 1-inch-thick square. Cut the dough into 2 inch squares. Place pieces, about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Brush each piece with buttermilk.
Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let the scones cool slightly and then drizzle with the lavender glaze (see below). Serve warm with butter.
Place the milk and butter in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook until the milk is steaming, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the lavender. Cover and steep 5 minutes. Strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer and discard the lavender. Stir in the the powdered sugar, adding water if needed to thin the glaze. Drizzle the glaze over each scone.
*Shred the butter over a cheese grater just like you would cheese.